Sadly, contaminated food harms millions of people every year, and because food and beverage manufacturers bear the lion’s share of responsibility for keeping our food protected, they’re keenly aware of their need to pay attention to trends driving food and safety. NexTec’s new guide, “Six Trends Driving Food & Quality in 2022,” examines these trends, including what the FDA is doing to ensure food manufacturing quality, and it also reveals the role food manufacturing software can play in helping food and beverage manufacturers safeguard our food supply.
“Ensuring food quality and safety is an ongoing, fundamental, and unchanging need,” the guide notes. “But HOW quality and safety standards are applied and monitored is subject to change.”
Changing requirements as well as emerging safety practices and external environmental, economic and social forces all affect food and safety trends. Following are the six current trends highlighted in the guide:
- FDA’s “New Era of Smarter Food Safety”: What is the FDA doing to improve quality and safety in the US and what do food and beverage manufacturers need to know about tech-enabled traceability, prevention and outbreak response, modernizing business and retail models and food safety culture?
- COVID-19: How has the pandemic impacted the FDA’s and other regulatory bodies’ ability to conduct food safety inspections. Is there concern about fraudulent, low-quality products making their way into the market?
- Third-Party Testing: Should food and beverage manufacturers hire an outside firm to conduct a third-party audit on their products and what is the difference between their inspections and that of a government agency?
- Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS): What is WGS and why is it a powerful tool for “tracking and curtailing” foodborne illnesses?
- Sustainability: What are the different types of sustainability in the food and beverage industry and how do they affect labeling requirements?
Safe Food for Canadians Regulations: Now that the pandemic appears to be weakening, what is Phase 3 of the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) requiring of Canadian food manufacturers?
Everything food and beverage manufacturers need to know about these trends can be found in the guide along with the reasons food business software, like FoodBusiness ERP (industry-specific software built in Sage X3 and configured by NexTec industry experts), helps streamline, automate and simplify their safety and quality management processes as they strive to protect consumers as well as ensure their success.